Benefits of Step Ups:
- Improves balance as you are standing on one leg.
- Improves strength in your glutes, quads, hamstrings, and calves when performed slowly.
- Increases caloric burn to maximize weight loss when performed quickly.
How to do a Step Up:
Start Position: Place one foot on a stable, steady surface. Make sure your knee is no higher than hip height.
Movement: Drive through your heel, bringing your back leg off the ground until your knee is at chest height. Pause.
Return: Slowly lower your leg back toward the ground, keeping your body weight in the heel of your opposite leg.
Modification and Progression of a Step Up:
- To modify the step up, select a shorter step.
- To progress the step up, add a 3 to 5 second hold at the top, slowly lowering your leg all the way down.
- Focus on gently placing your foot back on the ground as opposed to letting it drop quickly.
- Keep your chest up and your ab muscles tight to improve stability on one leg.
- Do not forget your glutes! Wake them up from being a sleeping booty and feel them fire at the top, aiding in your balance on one leg.
- Turn it into a cardio drill, find a low step one to two inches off the ground and see how fast you can go up, up, down, down.
Our live, real-time coaching will motivate you through every rep. So Download the App and we’ll have you perfecting your Step Ups in no time.