Russian Twist Benefits:
- Flattens ab muscles.
- Increases rotational strength and t-spine mobility.
- Improves rotational strength and coordination, reducing the risk of injury.
How to do a Russian Twist:
NOTE: Avoid this exercise is you have an ab separation known as diastasis recti, a common post- pregnancy condition.
- Start Position: Begin in a seated position, with your heels on the ground. Make a fist with one hand, closing your opposite hand over the top. Lean back until you feel your core muscles engage.
- Movement: Pull your heels off the ground, twisting through the rib cage and obliques, and your elbow pointing behind your body. Continue this movement in the opposite direction.
- Return: Square your shoulders over your hips and place your heels on the ground.
Modification and Progression of a Russian Twist:
- To simplify the Russian Twist, keep your heels on the ground and decrease the amount you twist.
- To advance the Russian Twist, extend your legs straight, and try to touch your elbow to the ground.
- Keep your chin out of your chest.
- Avoid twisting your shoulders which decreases the twist in the core.
Our live, real-time coaching will motivate you through every rep. So download the app and we’ll have you perfecting your squats and burpees in no time.